Sunday 4 December 2011

A Sensual Experience



Cooking for me is a sensual experience. And when I say sensual, it does not pertain to sex. Its sensual, because every sense organ in my body, is tuned to the dish that I prepare and later partake.
The sense of touch is evoked as I touch, feel,cut, sprinkle, and mix the ingredients of a vegetable and fruit salad . As any modern household, mine has a four burner gas stove too. So I fine tune my ear, to a musical symphony of mustard seeds crackling, vegetables sliding into hot oil with a hiss, sambar bubbling, and the pressure cooker hooting its whistle. And as the aroma rises, I inhale and take a deep breath, closing my eyes in anticipation of how it would taste.
A visual treat meets my eye, as I set the table. Colours blend, the greens, yellows, reds,browns and white, all set there , inviting and ready to partake. I set the food on my plate, and when I place the first morsel in my mouth, my taste buds eagerly lap up the profusion of tangy, salty and spicy tastes of my offering.
A smile on my lips and a glow in my heart, I finish up my culinary treat and heave a satiated sigh, basking in the afterglow of a sensual experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment